If you have tried playing a Blu-ray disc on your Blu-ray player only to get the following message:
you have, probably, stumbled upon something called Cinavia.
Cinavia is a DRM (Digital Rights Management)system embedded in Blu-ray discs. When a Blu-ray player recognizes an unauthorized copy of a Cinavia protected disc, it will stop playback and display an error code ranging from 1 to 4. Here is an example of Cinavia code 3.
This raises the question:
Cinavia became a mandatory part of Blu-ray players in 2012. This means that some older Blu-ray player models were made without it. Nevertheless, trying to find a decade-old Blu-ray player is, probably, not an easy task. And even if you do find one, it might not play your Blu-ray discs for other reasons or update the moment you insert a disc or connect it to the internet.
What is more, while there are some Cinavia-free Blu-ray players out there, they are pricier than regular ones and there is one workaround that doesn’t involve you buying new gear.
The alternative we mentioned is that, instead of worrying about the player, you can easily remove the Cinavia protection from your Blu-ray discs with the help of a computer and a Blu-ray ripper, instead.
With a Blu-ray ripper, one can rip the contents of any Blu-ray disc and convert them to another format. It is during this process that the ripper bypasses and removes all copy protection mechanisms like Cinavia.
In our case, the best Blu-ray ripper software is Tipard Blu-ray Converter.
Tipard Blu-ray Converter
Tipard’s app is ideal for those that want high-quality results, a set of powerful and useful tools, and high speeds in one, lightweight and user-friendly app.
- Tipard Blu-ray Converter supports 100% lossless conversion of any Blu-ray to over 500 video formats.
A set of powerful and useful tools
- Tipard is far from just a ripper. It also has a very powerful, professional video editor and useful tools like a 3D Maker, Metadata editor, Video Compressor, Video Enhancer, and GIF Maker.
- Thanks to the accelerating technologies incorporated into its code, Tipard can produce results 30 times faster than any of its competitors.
A user-friendly app
- You don’t have to be a tech expert to enjoy Tipard’s features. Thanks to its intuitive design, even first-time users can start converting Blu-rays in minutes.
Step 1: Download the app by clicking on the buttons here.
Install and run it right after.
Step 2: Add your Blu-ray movie to Tipard Blu-ray Converter.
- Insert your Blu-ray disc into your computer.
- Under “Ripper” click on “Load Blu-ray” or the big blue plus symbol in the middle of the interface.
Step 3: Get ready for the ripping.
- Choose what parts of the Blu-ray movie you want to keep in your converted file. Click on the “Full Title List” button and you will be taken to a different interface. There, watch the clips and decide which ones you want to keep.
- Audio and subtitle tracks can be added or removed through the two relevant menus.
- You may edit the movie itself using Tipard’s many powerful editing tools (ID3 tag, filter, enhancer, etc.) Click on the little star or scissors to open the editor.
- Choose the MKV “Same as Source” format for 1:1 conversion.
Step 4: Finish the ripping.
- Set the destination for your file.
- Click on the “Rip All” button to rip your Blu-ray.
You may now transfer the movies to a USB device and watch them on your Blu-ray or even burn them to a new Blu-ray disc.
Sometimes watching a Blu-ray disc on a Blu-ray player is impossible due to Cinavia. Thankfully, there are ways to circumvent the issue using a Blu-ray ripper app like Tipard Blu-ray Converter.