The OBS is the most-downloaded screen recorder in the world by a large margin, and accordingly, as more people get to use the program, more errors start to show up and affect the normal recording process.
One of which is the OBS Display Capture Black Screen issue – when using the OBS Display Capture to record the desktop, it won’t work properly and only produce a black screen on the interface instead. For avid OBS users who yearn for a perfect video, this hellish OBS malfeasance makes you unable to record anything. In order to create a video, fixing the issue has become the priority.
In the following content, you will be seeing 3 methods as well as the sources to fix the annoying OBS Display Capture not working issue.
1. Check your Graphics cards
Every PC has a Graphics card, some may have 2 or more. No matter how many graphics cards are installed on your PC, if the default one is so inferior that it does not support the OBS recording, your OBS is less likely to record properly.
To find out if your default display card is adequate for OBS recording, you need to open Device Manager and check your display card there.
On your desktop, click on the searching icon and type in Device Manager, open the panel.
Next, on the panel, locate Display adapters from which you can see the Graphics card installed on your PC.
- Close OBS Studio first.
- Right-click on your desktop, select Display Settings. Then, scroll down on the Display Settings tab and find the Graphics setting, click it.
- The Graphics setting page will appear, here, you need to set your preferences on a high-end graphics card for OBS.
Click Browse, your system will prompt you to select an app. You need to go to This Computer > C:// > Program Files > obs studio > bin > 64bit, and select obs64 on the 64bit folder, this is the actual location of OBS application.
Click Add to confirm.
- Now, back to the Graphics setting page, you will see OBS is displayed, click it and select Options. Choose High performance, click Save to apply.
In this way, your OBS will no longer be restricted from the low-end display card and you can use it to begin Display Capture successfully.
2. Update your GPU driver
If you’re saying that OBS Display Capture shows a black screen, albeit, with an exclusive graphics card, that’s probably because your GPU driver is outdated.
That is to say, your CPU driver is incapable of connecting your Graphics hardware and your OBS well. What we need to do is to upgrade your driver. Follow these steps.
- On your desktop, click on the searching icon and type in Device Manager, open the panel.
- Locate Display adapters, right-click the Graphics card you set preference for OBS, choose Update Driver.
- The next thing you need to do is to finish the update.
Once updated, the OBS Display Capture not working issue is resolved. You can initiate a display capture with OBS then.
3. Update or re-install your OBS
Your OBS Studio is having some vague errors that we can hardly figure out and fix. So, you can just update your OBS or re-install it rather than fixing the undefined bugs that will be an ultra-long battle.
If your OBS is already the newest, try re-installing it.
- First, remove it from your PC. open This Computer, and go to C: > Program Files > obs studio, double-click uninstall to proceed.
- Once complete, visit OBS Studio’s official site and download a new one on your PC.
OBS alternative: Aiseesoft Screen Recorder
When the previous methods fail to solve what you google for, you can apply to another screen capturing tool to record your desktop. Personally speaking, I take Aiseesoft Screen Recorder as my optimal choice.
Aiseesoft Screen Recorder, similar to OBS, is a versatile utility for screen capture and audio recording. This hefty screen recorder is such a good solution to the display capture problem, with its lossless recording feature as well as multiple adjustable configurations, to those in need of high-quality and flexible recording.
Answers about the “OBS Display Capture is not recording properly” are all clear now. Hopefully, my suggestions are helpful and you can have your OBS working successfully. Also, keep in thing in mind: switch to an alternative screen recorder like the recommended Aiseesoft Screen Recorder when the OBS Display Capture Black Screen issue remains.