Microsoft Word allows you to add various types of files as elements in a document. You can place an image, an Excel sheet or even a PDF document. Now, the question is: how to insert pdf into word? Without the right tools, it can be quite tedious. PDFelement makes this job quick and easy.
Insert PDF to Word with PDFelement
PDFelement is a powerful PDF editor that lets you add editable PDF files into a Word document in different situations. Let’s study the steps below.
If you want to copy some information of your PDF file, especially a scanned file into a Word document, then PDFelement comes in handy.
For a regular PDF file:
- Right-click the pdf file > select “Open With” > choose Wondershare PDFelement.
- Click on the “Selection tool for text and images” button and select the text you want to copy from the PDF.
- Use the key combo “Ctrl + C” or right-click the selected text, then choose “Copy Text” and paste the content to the word document.
If you want to copy more than a few paragraphs, you can also use the Convert feature to convert the PDF to Word or .txt file. In that case, you can merge the new word file (formerly PDF file) with the target word document. Follow the steps below.
1. View and Convert
Open the PDF file with PDFelement. Click “Convert” on the menu bar. Select the format you wish to convert the PDF into. The “Save As” dialog box will appear. Choose the folder location where you want to save the file. You can still change the format of the file using the “Save As Type” option. Click “Save” to save your converted PDF file.
2. Convert without Viewing
When you launch the PDFelement software you will see a Welcome page. On that page, you will find the “Convert PDF” box. Click on that box and select the PDF file that you want to convert. Click “Open” on the dialog box to open the file. In PDFelement, a second dialog box will appear where you can select the output folder to save your converted PDF file. Select the output folder and choose the format you wish to convert the PDF file. Click “Save” to save the converted PDF file.
For a scanned PDF file:
You can convert this PDF file into an editable file by using the OCR feature. Just open the scanned pdf with PDFelement and navigate to Convert. Click on the OCR button to perform OCR and turn the PDF file into an editable and searchable document. Then you can copy the content of the converted PDF file into your target Word document.
If no further editing for the pdf is needed, you can add the pdf file into the word file as images. Follow the same procedure to convert your PDF file in PDFelement but select To Image instead of To Word. This changes your PDF file into images that you can easily insert into the Word document.
If you want to extract some pictures from a pdf and insert them into your target word document, have PDFelement install and follow the steps below:
For a regular PDF file:
- Launch PDFelement and go to File> Open >click the Browse button and search the pdf file you want to open.
- Select the “Selection tool for text and images” button and click on the image you want to copy.
- Here you can press “Ctrl + C” or right-click and choose Copy to Clipboard, then paste it to the word file.
- Also, you can right-click and choose Extract Image to save the image for later use.
For a scanned PDF file:
- Run PDFelement and drag the scanned pdf file to the program window to open.
- A scanned pdf can be detected by the program and a blue bar on the top will pop up as soon as the file is open.
- Click on the “Perform OCR” to turn the scanned file into a searchable/editable file.
- The converting may take some time depending on the file size.
- After the OCR converting, you can copy or save the images then insert them into word.
When you come across a password protected PDF file and need to add it to the word, you can either input the right password or remove the pdf password. There are no other choices.
The first method is easy, you can just input the password and add pdf to a word by following the instruction in Situation 1, 2 and 3.
- Download and install the PDF password remover on your PC.
- Run the program and import the encrypted pdf file. This PDF password remover can decrypt up to 200 pdf files at a time.
- Click on the “Start” button to remove restrictions on PDF editing and printing.
Last but not the least, you can insert a PDF to Word document as an Attachment using the “Insert Objects” feature in Microsoft Word.
Drag and Drop Method
This is the easiest method. Drag and drop the PDF file into the Word document. That’s all you need to do.
Your PDF appears as an icon on the Word document and it links to the external PDF file. to open the PDF file, just double click on the icon.
1. Open your target Word document.
2. Click “Insert” on the Menu bar and select “Object”.
3. On the “Insert Object” dialog box, tick on the “Create from file” button.
4 Click “Browse” to find your PDF file.
5 Select the PDF file and click “Open”.
6. Make sure that “Link to file” and “Display as icon” is not checked.
7. Click “OK”
The PDF file appears as an image on the Word document. You can resize and position the document in any way you like.
Should I Try Google Docs to Import PDF into Word?
It depends. Here is a picture explains all.
It is important to note that opening a PDF in Google Docs may alter the layout and formatting of the original file. What’s more, you can only get the text content in this method, if you can find the text from the messy layout. Besides, as it is done online, it may also take a longer time to complete. Factors like file size and Internet connection speed must be considered here.
If all these hassles are ok to you, you can follow the instruction here:
- Login to your Google Drive account and upload the PDF document.
- Open the file with Google Docs.
- Download the file with a Microsoft Word (.docx) format.
- Add the pdf to word using the copy and paste method.