Audacity is installed and used by millions of users for its excellent audio recording and editing capacity.
To enjoy the great audio recording service of Audacity, you need to cope with the complex interface and preset. You must set up the audio source or audio tracks before starting an audio capture.
If you’re new to Audacity and having queries about Audacity audio recording, this tutorial will show you the very details of how to record desktop audio with Audacity. Also, if you want to record a voice-over with Audacity, you can find the steps here.
How to record computer sound with Audacity
Follow the steps below to record the playback on your computer and create a high-quality audio file.
Step 1 Launch Audacity
After you installed the program, launch it on your computer. (Click here to download Audacity)
Step 2 Set up for mono/stereo audio recording
On Audacity, there’re 4 options you need to pay attention to, the Audio Host, Recording Device, Recording Channel and Playback Device. The first 3 options are much more important and as for the Playback Device, you can just use the defaule one.
If you want to record a mono-audio file:
- Use the default Audio Host, normally it’s the Windows WASAPI.
- Then, on the Recording Device option, Speaker or Stereo Mix will all do.
- The most vital one is to change the Recording Channels to Mono so that the audio file will sound mono.
If you’re about to record stereo audio:
- Set the Audio Host as Windows WASAPI.
- Next, choose Stereo Mix (If there’s any) or Speaker as the Recording Device.
- As for Recording Channels, you need to make it Stereo.
Step 3 Start recording
Finish setting up, you can click Record to initiate recording the desktop audio.
You can pause the recording by clicking the Pause button, and click again to resume.
Click Stop when you want to end the recording. To preview the audio file, click Play.
Above are the detailed steps of how to record speaker audio with Audacity. You can now start to record on your own.
How to record a voice-over with Audacity
Want to record a voice-over with Audacity? No problem, follow this:
Step 1 Launch your Audacity
Step 2 Set up the audio device
You can set the Audio Host to MME or Windows WASAPI. And select Microphone as the Recording Device.
Step 3 Start recording
Finish setting up, Audacity will only record the sound coming from the microphone. You can click Record to start and begin speaking to your microphone.
Click Pause when you want to have a break, and click Stop and end the recording.
Alternative to Audacity to Record Audio
Since Audacity can only record one audio device at a time, so if record computer sound and microphone audio simultaneously, you can try Aiseesoft Screen Recorder.
- Aiseesoft Screen Recorder is a professional tool to record all sounds on your computer, you can decide to record desktop and microphone sound separately or simultaneously with very just one click.
- Using Aiseesoft Screen Recorder, you won’t go through complex preset and head-to-understand professional phrases. Once installed, you can easily decide the audio source and start an audio recording with easy steps.
- Besides audio recording, the program allows users to record the screen and create a decent video.
You can click the buttons below to download the program for free and have a go with it.
How to record computer audio and microphone sound with Aiseesoft Screen Recorder
To use Aiseesoft Screen Recorder to record your computer audio or microphone audio is very easy, follow the 3 steps below.
Step 1 Launch Aiseesoft Screen Recorder on your computer
Step 2 Choose Audio Recorder
On the interface, choose Audio Recorder. And then you need to decide the audio source for the output file on the Audio Recorder window.
- To record your computer sound, turn on System Sound.
- Turn on the Microphone option when you want to record the external sound.
- Set both options on if you need to.
Step 3 Start recording
Finish deciding the audio source, click REC or press Ctrl + Shift + S on your keyboard to initiate an audio recording. Aiseesoft Screen Recorder will record the sound from the target audio source.
To end the process, press Ctrl + Shift + S or click Stop from a floating panel.
The program will open a window for you to preview and trim the audio file. You can click Save to export it to a custom folder.
Now, you know how to use audacity to record computer audio or microphone audio. You can now start your own Audacity recording and create a decent audio file.
Audacity is great for sure, but it cannot record both sounds. Switch to our Screen Recorder when you plan to record both sounds then.
Since Audacity has been established for 2 decades, many users have confronted with various problems while using the app. Here are some common ones.