When it first came out, the Xbox One was introduced as the “all-in-one” home entertainment system. Unlike its competitors, it aimed to be the centerpiece of every multimedia setup. To that end, it featured unique capabilities like live TV, DVR, access to popular apps and streaming services, and even 3D Blu-ray playback.
Nowadays, with the concept of home entertainment gaining popularity due to increased accessibility of high-quality media and going to the cinema not always an option, people have started putting the Xbox One’s claims to the test.
Yet, to their dismay, many people have tried watching 3D Blu-ray movies on their Xbox Ones with no success, which leads them to wonder whether the Xbox One can play 3D Blu-ray in the first place.
The short answer is yes, it can.
The Xbox One, being a complete “all-in-one entertainment system”, does have the capacity to play DVDs and 3D Blu-ray movies directly. And here is how to do it.
Step 1: Enable 3D on Xbox One.
- On your Xbox One, go to Settings>Display & sound.
- There, choose the Calibrate HDTV option.
Your console will guide you through the rest.
- Go back to Display & sound, find the Video fidelity tab, and click the box Allow 3D.
Step 2: Insert the 3D Blu-ray disc into the Xbox One.
Now, your Xbox should be able to stream 3D Blu-ray movies.
Put in a 3D Blu-ray movie and enjoy.
Each Xbox One is made for a specific Blu-ray region, and so are 3D Blu-ray discs. For the Xbox One to be able to play a 3D Blu-ray disc, the two region codes have to be the same. If this is not the case, your Xbox One, won’t be able to play the 3D Blu-ray disc.
The region code is a copyright protection method of locking Blu-rays and DVDs to specific regions in the world. These codes appear as a letter, A, B, or C at the back of the disc case with each letter corresponding to a number of regions.
So, if you have a Blu-ray disc of the same region as your Xbox One, you can play it without any issues. If you don’t, you will have to remove the region lock from your 3D Blu-ray. To do that, you would have to convert it into a video format supported by the Xbox One.
These are all the formats supported by the Xbox One:
- Video: 3GP video, 3GP2, ADTS, ASF, AVI DivX, DV AVI, AVI uncompressed, AVI Xvid, H.264 AVCHD, MKV, MOV, MPEG-PS, MPEG-2, MPEG-2 HD, MPEG-2 TS, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, MPEG-4 SP, WMV, WMV HD
- Audio: 3GP audio, AAC, MP3, TIFF, WAV, WMA, WMA Lossless, WMA Pro, WMA Voice
- Picture: animated GIF, BMP, JPEG, GIF, M-JPEG, PNG
To do that conversion, you will need a 3D Blu-ray converter; A piece of software that rips movies from 3D Blu-ray discs and converts them into other formats. And there is no better tool for the job than Tipard Blu-ray Converter.
Why Tipard Blu-ray Converter
We trust Tipard Blu-ray converter with our 3D Blu-ray conversions because not only does it produce excellent results all the time, it also gives us several tools to customize our movies with.
With Tipard Blu-ray Converter you get:
As 3D Blu-ray movie fans, we always expect the best quality. Tipard supports 4k UHD, 1080P HD, full 3D, and can convert any 3D Blu-ray movie to over 500 formats with no loss of quality whatsoever.
Tipard is designed for speed and efficiency; With its Hyper-Blu technology, CPU-based video encoding/ decoding, and graphics card image processing, it is 30 times faster than any of the competitors.
On top of being an excellent converter, Tipard also gives you all the tools you’ll need to fully customize your videos. These tools include a fully professional video editor, a 3D Maker, a GIF Maker, a metadata editor, a video compressor, and a video enhancer.
What really impressed us with Tipard, is how user-friendly it is. Its interface is so intuitive that we can convert were converting our first 3D Blu-ray minutes after installation.
Download and install Tipard Blu-ray Converter on your computer.
Launch it after installation.
Import the 3D Blu-ray movie to Tipard Blu-ray Converter.
- Insert your 3D Blu-ray disc into your computer’s disc tray.
- Select the “Ripper” tab and click on “Load Blu-ray” on the upper left corner or on the big blue plus symbol in the middle of the interface to load up your 3D Blu-ray movie to Tipard.
Within a few seconds Tipard will display the loaded file.
Select the output format.
Here you may prepare your files for conversion.
- Choose what parts of the 3D Blu-ray movie you want to keep in your converted file. To do that, click on the “Full Title List” button and you will be taken to a window where you can preview and choose any of your movie’s clips.
- Select or add the audio and subtitle tracks you want to be included in the converted movie through the two drop-down menus on the interface.
- Tipard helps you edit the movie itself through its many powerful editing tools (ID3 tag, filter, enhancer, etc.) that you can access by clicking on the little star-shaped or scissor-shaped buttons.
- At the far right, click on the format menu choose the MKV or MP4 format, and either the “3D Red/Blue” or “3D Left/right” option and you are ready to go.
- If you have multiple files to convert, you can set the output format for all of them through the “Rip All to” button.
Finish the ripping.
- Set the storage location of your file at the directory at the bottom of the interface.
- Click on the “Rip All” button at the bottom-right corner of the interface, and Tipard will do the rest.
Once finished, Tipard will take you to the location where the MKV video file is stored. If you cannot find the storage location, click on the little “folder” button at the bottom of the interface next to the storage location directory.
You may then stream your 3D Blu-ray movie on your Xbox One via a USB drive.
Is it possible to watch a 3D Blu-ray movie on an Xbox One? The answer is yes, assuming the region code on both the console and the disc are the same. If not, it is still possible to do so, by converting the 3D Blu-ray movie into a region lock-free format with the help of a professional 3D Blu-ray ripper like Tipard Blu-ray converter.