DVD Shrink violated the US copyright law in the U.S. due to copyright issues. The official website of DVD Shrink marked “is no more!” on August 17, 2005, which means that no new version will be released and all current software development procedures will be stopped. Moreover, the download link is no longer available now. What are the best alternatives to DVD Shrink to burn backup copies to DVDs? Just learn more about the excellent features and choose the desired one accordingly.
DVD Shrink is a free DVD ripper that burns and compresses copies to disc on Windows. It is capable of both re-authoring and re-encoding the movie from a DVD, which compresses a normal DVD to the hard disc. Moreover, it enables you to remove the DVD region code and copy protection.
- Take less than 40 minutes to complete a standard DVD movie backup.
- Produce either an ISO image, or a VIDEO-TS folder for further processing.
- Preserve all the DVD contents, including the titles, menus, and trailers.
- Delete redundant audio tracks or subtitles with the compression feature.
NO.1 Leawo Prof. Media — DVD Shrink Alternative to Rip DVD of Any Kind
Leawo Prof. Media Ultra is a very popular versatile Blu-ray and DVD converter as a DVD Shrink alternative on Mac and Windows. It includes an 11-1 multimedia solution to convert the DVD to video formats, copy the discs, edit the videos, compress the file, apply video filters, etc.
- Convert DVDs to more than 180 formats, like video, audio, and devices.
- Personalize the preset disc menus and templates to burn videos to DVD.
- Backup and extract the DVD movies to videos/discs with 1:1 original quality.
- Remove the DRM protection, such as the CSS protection and more others.
Step 1: Once you have installed the Leawo Prof. Media Ultra, you can go to the Convert tab. Make sure you have inserted the DVD into the DVD drive of your computer beforehand. Click the Add Blu-ray/DVD button to add source media files from the DVD for converting.
Step 2: Select the Main Movie option from the different copy mode. Choose the subtitles and audio tracks from source media files, playback imported media files, move down or up to adjust the converting order, rename the files, check details of imported media files, etc.
Step 3: After that, you can enter the Profile menu and choose the MP4 as the output format from the Format menu. Moreover, you can choose the H.265 videos, 4K MP4 files, more other audio/video formats, or even the devices according to your requirement.
Step 4: Click the green Convert button on the sub-menu bar to call out the output directory setting panel. Then you can set an output directory in the Save to box. Now, you can click on the Convert button to start the converting as DVD Shrink on your computer.
NO.2 MakeMKV — Free DVD Shrink Alternative to Rip DVD to MKV
MakeMKV is an open-source DVD Shrink alternative to rip DVD and Blu-ray discs with the original quality. It enables you to convert DVDs and Blu-ray discs to MKV video format. Even if you have some DRM protected discs, it will remove the protection and retain all related data such as videos, audio tracks, and Meta information.
- Convert MKV files from DVD and Blu-ray without re-coding the movies.
- Decrypt the latest version of Blu-ray Disc AACS and BD+ protection.
- Keep all videos and audio tracks, such as audio, chapter, and Meta data.
- Provide instantly stream decrypted video without intermediate conversion.
NO.3 WinX DVD Ripper — DVD Shrink Alternative to Shrink DVD for Phones
WinX DVD Ripper is another free DVD Shrink alternative that integrates with a variety of useful functions, such as DVD conversion, cloning and backup. It enables you to extract the contents of DVD discs with the original video quality. Moreover, you can also rip the disc to a file format compatible with iPhone, iPad, or Android phone.
- Convert the DVDs to popular video formats, such as AVI, MP4, WMV, etc.
- Rip and backup DVD to some portable devices and even smart TVs.
- Support 1:1 clone for the whole DVD disc, ISO image file, and DVD folder.
- Extract original audio tracks from DVD and save them in MP3 format.
NO.4 CloneDVD — DVD Shrink Alternative to Clone DVD at A Ratio of 1:1
CloneDVD is a practical program like DVD Shrink for Windows. As a DVD backup tool, it can copy movies to a computer or disc with a high quality. It also enables you to decrypt the copyright protection and region restrictions. Moreover, you can copy the DVD at a ratio of 1:1 that is the same quality as the original DVD.
- Copy the DVD at a ratio of 1:1 with all the detailed information easily.
- Backup DVD to the hard drive to avoid any data loss and damage.
- Make ISO image files from DVDs, or rip DVDs from ISO image files.
- Rip DVDs into movie files, including AVI, ASF, and MP4 format.
NO.5 RipIt — DVD Shrink Alternative to copy DVD for Mac
RipIt is another program to copy DVD and organize archives, which should be a good DVD shrink alternative for Mac to compress and rip DVDs. You can copy the files in the CD to your computer completely. It works fast and can be arranged according to the file type, which provides convenience for the next search.
- Can handle almost any encryption, including the commercial DVDs.
- It has an encryption decoder that can detect whether the DVD is protected.
- Rip movies, additional content, subtitles, and alternative tracks to Mac.
- Compress and create files that can be played on Apple devices.
NO.6 DVDFab DVD Ripper — DVD Shrink Alternative to Rip DVD Quickly
DVDFab DVD Ripper is DVD Shrink Alternative to rip DVDs. It can extract audio and video content from DVDs and convert it to mainstream audio and video formats such as MP4 and MKV, which only takes five minutes. You can easily play audio and video content from DVDs on mobile phones, and other devices.
- Convert any DVD to a wide arrange of video and audio formats.
- Batch conversion to process multiple conversion tasks at the same time.
- Support multi-core CPU technology and can complete speed conversion.
- Keep the original video quality and fast speed with hardware acceleration.
If you want to get some programs like DVD Shrink, you can learn more about the features of DVD Shrink, as well as the best alternatives from the article. When you need to customize the videos, edit the files, and remove the DRM protection, you can take Leawo Prof. Media Ultra into consideration.