How to Add Digital Signature in PDF
Assuming you have installed the PDFelement, which is a rising star in pdf industry and a lightweight free alternative of Adobe, on your PC.
- Click and drag your PDF file to the PDFelelment program window.
- Navigate to the Protect tab and select the Sign Document button.
- Follow the pop-up instruction to click, drag, and draw the area where you like to insert the digital signature. If this is the first time to sign pdf, you can click on the New ID button to Add Digital ID.
- Before you click the Sign button on the Sign Document window to finish signing your PDF file, you can see the information of your digital id. Also, you can configure the signature style from the Appearance.
Everything You Should Know About the Signature in PDF
Security has become a significant feature in current communication processes. The validity of the documents that are in use when passing critical information in organizations has become questionable due to alteration and lack of credibility. The use of PDF documents on the onset was a more elegant way of dealing with the questions that occurred raised on manual documents. The challenge came in when the PDF documents that were being shared could not be authenticated and verified based on the origin and the authors.
The manual signing of documents proved to be ineffective since it was possible to alter information or forge signatures that were essential for authorization. The work of manually signing the documents also showed to be tedious in cases where large numbers of documents were to be approved or authorized within a short duration of time. This loophole led to the introduction of electronic and digital signatures.
This article will help you to understand the critical difference between the two signatures.
A digital signature is a code which has been digitized and authenticated using the Public Key Inscribed whose utility is to verify a sender’s identity and the content of a document that has gone through electronic transmission.
It is a useful technique that is applied to approve the authenticity or content of a document legally. It is being used in the signing of company incorporation, tender documents from the government, trademark applications, and contracts or agreements. The advantages of the digital signatures include saving of time and costs, securing document content, user friendly, legal, and very reliable.
Function and Composition of a digital signature
The services of the digital signature include authentication of message source, integrity, and validity of the message or document content and non-repudiation where the sender cannot deny sending the document or message.
It works based on a digital asymmetric key pair which is attributed to the holder of the key pair. It uses a private key only known by the owner which he uses if and when generating the digital signature of a given document and a public key that is put into use when checking the authenticity of the signature.
Electronic signature, function, and advantages
Electronic signatures, on the other hand, are to be compared to the signatures that are typically input manually or handwritten. It can be defined more or less as an image of an individual’s name that has been input or laid over a PDF document. The electronic signature is the most common in use when signing PDF documents. The electronic signature guarantees authenticity and document integrity while offering advantages such as speedy signature processing, security, and business correspondence automation.
Inserting a Digital Signature to PDF with other Tools
For the Users of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
- Ensure the document to be digitally signed is open
- On the lower right-hand corner, Click on Certificates icon
- Select Digitally Sign on the ribbon at the top
- Drag a signature box where the signature is to be inserted
- Select the signature needed
- Click on Continue
- After checking the selected signature is correct, click on Sign.
- Re-save the document in a new location and give the file a name
- Click on save button and a window pops up
- Type your pin on the window to insert the digital signature if you are using LincPass Card.
Add signature in Fox-it Reader
1. Open the PDF file you want to add a signature to
2. On the top of the toolbar, select PDF sing
3. On the toolbar, click on the + icon that appears greenish
4. On the window that appears, five options are available
a. Draw Signature – Allows the use of the pad or mouse to draw the signature
b. Import File – Allows import of both PDF and image files
c. Paste from Clipboard – Allows transfer of image copied to the clipboard
d. Type Signature – Allows typing in of signatures by use of recursive fonts
e. Online Signature – Allows the use of saved signatures.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How many signatures can one have in My Signatures?
A: One can have up to 7 or 8 signatures, depends on the software application.
Q: What is the difference between the digital and electronic signatures?
A: Digital signatures use a code, unlike electronic signatures which is an image of the signature.
Q: Which software can I use to sign a PDF document digitally?
A: PDFelement, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Fox-it Reader.
Q: Is the use of electronic signatures legal?
A: Yes it is legal and is supported internationally
Q: What other documents does electronic signature support?
A: The ones supported include Ms-word, Excel, Outlook, and many other documents.
Q: How are electronic signatures better than handwritten?
A: Yes, they are and much more secure.