MakeMKV is an excellent Blu-ray/DVD ripper to extract the Blu-ray and DVD movies without re-encoding. But it only enables you to convert Blu-ray/DVD to MKV and MP4 files. When you need to extract the movies from the disc with the original quality, you can learn more about the excellent features of the 5 MakeMKV alternatives from the article. Then you can choose the desired one according to your requirement.
Here are the detailed differences between DVD5 and DVD9 you should know. If you have a movie in DVD5, is it possible to copy DVD5 to DVD9, or vice versa? What is the best method to manage the DVD disc with ease? You can always get an answer from the article.
/1 A Simple Review of MakeMKV
MakeMKV beta is a free DVD/Blu-ray ripper with 30 days trial period, which is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is packed with the basic set of DVD and Blu-ray converting tools, including the DRM removal methods and region removal technology. It only works with AACS and BD + encryption, but when you need to decrypt the Blu-ray protection, you have to purchase the full version to get the full functions.
- Detect and analyze the desired Blu-ray/DVD automatically in clicks.
- Provide a simple and easy method to extract Blu-ray, and DVD files.
- Select the desired titles for the disc, audio track, and subtitles easily.
- Decrypt region code, BD+, AACS automatically and make MKV file.
- Do not benefit from the GPU acceleration to convert the Blu-ray/DVD.
- It only extracts the MKV files from the Blu-ray and DVD with large size.
- Need to upgrade to the pro version to remove the DRM protection of BD.
/2 Why You Choose MakeMKV Alternatives
1. Can I Enhance the Conversion Speed with MakeMKV?
No. Because MakeMKV lacks hardware acceleration, it takes a long period of time to convert Blu-ray and DVD. When you want to rip a Blu-ray disc with a large size, you need to use the Blu-ray/DVD Ripper with built-in hardware acceleration instead.
2. Can I Get Full Functionalities of MakeMKV for Free?
No. If you just need to get the basic functions of MakeMKV to rip the DVD and Blu-ray disc, you can take advantage of the free version. You have to order the full version for US$50.00 if you desire to enjoy more options for ripping the DVD/Blu-ray in MakeMKV full version.
3. Is There A Method to Rip BD/DVD via MakeMKV in A Smaller Size?
Since MakeMKV only supports the limited output format, the MKV files contain videos, photos, subtitles, and more other files, which are large in size. Once you have converted the Blu-ray files, you can compress the video or use the professional MakeMKV alternative.
/3 5 Best MakeMKV Alternative to Rip Blu-ray
Method 1: Leawo Blu-ray Ripper
Leawo Prof. Media is an all-in-one Blu-ray/DVD ripper as the MakeMKV alternative that enables you to download, convert, copy, burn, play, edit and manage the media files with 6X fast speed. Whether you need to extract the original video quality from Blu-ray, remove the DRM protection, or convert the Blu-ray/DVD to a smartphone, it enables you to manage the media files without any restriction.
- Provide 11-1 total media converter solution for all the media files.
- Decrypt most of the Blu-ray/DVD DRM protections, such as Cinavia.
- Tweak the video codec, frame rate, video quality, sample rate, etc.
- Retain the desired subtitles, audio tracks, video angle, and more.
- Advanced hardware acceleration to convert videos with 6X fast speed.
Method 2: HandBrake
Handbrake is another open-source DVD and Blu-ray ripper as MakeMKV alternative. It can rip Blu-ray discs and convert the media files into the desired video format. Moreover, you can also tweak the video/audio settings, or even choose a device preset. But the program cannot handle the DRM-protected Blu-ray discs. It also requires a warm-up to get familiar with the complicated settings beforehand.
- Extract the high-quality videos mix with your 5.1 surround soundtrack.
- Enables you to convert multiple tasks with the Add to Queue feature.
- Provide a wide range of features and presets for ripping DVD/Blu-ray.
- Tweak different parameters, like video resolution, frame rate, audio, etc.
Method 3: Freemake Video Converter
Freemake Video Converter is featured for its ease of use. It provides a good selection of output options, including iOS, Android, and more other top-notch smartphones. The MakeMKV alternative also offers you to clip out segments of a Blu-ray and make a few small editing selections like rotating and adding black rim, and you can add external subtitles.
- Upload the converted Blu-ray/DVD files to social media sites directly.
- Convert the Blu-ray/DVD to a massive amount of output file formats.
- Provide the basic video editing features for the output Blu-ray/DVDs.
- Burn a DVD with subtitles, authoring tools, audio tracks, etc.
Method 4:VLC Media Player
VLC is a more than a media player, but also has the ability to rip DVDs and Blu-Rays. Compared to MakeMKV, it only provides the basic ripping features, especially for the homemade DVD only, which you need to jump through some hoops to add the ability to play encrypted Blu-ray discs. If you have already installed the program, you can have a try.
- The competent video player that can handle most video and audio files.
- It is an open-source DVD ripper that is available on Windows and Mac.
- Sync the converted DVD files within the different operation systems.
- Extract the videos from the homemade DVD within just a few clicks.
Method 5: CloneBD
CloneBD is a simple Blu-ray ripping program as MakeMKV beta alternative. It offers a bunch of output options that work on smartphones and devices. You can also download the videos and convert them to the YouTube-compatible format. Just as the name of the Blu-ray/DVD ripper, it enables you to copy the original videos with ease.
- Copy and clone Blu-ray/ DVD to blank Blu-ray/DVD without quality loss.
- Enable you to backup DVD collections to avoid being ruined or lost.
- Convert Blu-ray/DVD to video in HD/SD video formats for different devices.
- It is a decent option if you just need to clone unprotected Blu-ray discs.
The article shares the 5 best alternatives to MakeMKV to extract the original contents from Blu-ray and DVD. When you have a limited budget, you can choose the open-source options. But if you need to have great videos for your social media sites, you can learn more about the features and choose the desired one accordingly.